Watauga Orthopaedics is expanding access to orthopedic care through a new Virtual Clinic.
When the Walk-In Clinics are closed, our orthopedic specialists are now available to evaluate acute injuries through our new Virtual Clinic. This convenient and affordable service connects patients with an orthopedic expert to provide medical guidance for non-life-threatening injuries at night and on the weekends.
Patients can be evaluated from any location as long as they have a device with internet access and video/audio capabilities. During the registration process, patients must also accept the terms of service and agree to receive emails and text messages.
Please continue utilizing our three clinic locations during normal business hours. The Virtual Clinic is only available during designated evening and weekend hours for sudden onset injuries.
Scheduling a Virtual Clinic visit:
- Patient will need a cell phone, tablet, or computer with internet access and audio/video capabilities to be evaluated. See additional information below for Browser requirements.
- Click Schedule Virtual Visit Now.
- Follow the step-by-step instructions below to complete the registration and check-in process.
- Wait for the orthopedic specialist to join the video call, evaluate your injury, and provide a recommendation for treatment.
- Insurance is NOT billed for virtual visits. If the patient is referred to our regular clinic or the emergency department after their virtual visit, they will not be charged for the virtual visit. If the provider is able to evaluate and recommend treatment without the need for additional follow-up care, the patient will be billed a $50 fee to cover the virtual visit.
- Additional care provided outside of the Virtual Clinic visit will need to be filed with insurance or self-pay. Please contact your insurance company or our office during regular business hours to confirm Watauga Orthopaedics is in network to provide follow-up care.
Virtual Clinic Hours
Monday – Friday, 8 pm - 10 pm
Saturday & Sunday, 5 pm - 10 pm
Walk-In Clinic Hours (Regular Business Hours)
Monday – Friday, 8 am – 8 pm in Bristol, Johnson City, and Kingsport
Saturday, 8 am – 5 pm in Johnson City
Sunday, 1 pm – 5 pm in Johnson City
Beginning your virtual visit
- Click Schedule Virtual Visit Now
- Complete the requested information
- Select Virtual Clinic
- Confirm $50 fee policy
- Select appointment time
- Complete patient information
- Consent to receive text or email notifications. *Required for virtual visits
- Appointment is confirmed
- Patient will receive link to complete the check-in process.
- Accept Consent for Virtual *Required for virtual visits
- After check-in is complete, patient will receive a second link to join the virtual waiting room.
In the virtual waiting room
- Click the link, verify your connection, and enter name to be displayed when your provider joins the call
- Enter the private virtual waiting room and verify the details of your appointment
- Preview and manage your device settings (test audio and video, mute your microphone, or choose a front- or back-facing camera on mobile).
- Make sure your camera and microphone access are not blocked in your browser settings.
Join the virtual visit
- As soon as your provider joins the room, the visit will begin automatically. When the visit is over and you leave the session, a “Thank you!” message will appear and inform you that you may close your session.
Having issues connecting to your virtual visit?
Email your name, phone number, and issue you are experiencing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Someone from our team will contact you as soon as possible
Thank you for trusting Watauga Orthopaedics to provide the care you need, when you need it!
A: No, you don’t need to log into the Patient Portal or download any kind of application to join the visit. The URL will come directly to your preferred contact method (email or text, so long as you have previously consented to such messaging with your healthcare provider’s office) and can be accessed via web browser (desktop or mobile).
A: In the confirmation message that contains details about your appointment, you will also be provided a link to a pre-appointment device check, which will allow you to test your device settings and troubleshoot audio or video issues. This link will not be available in any reminder messages.
A: The provider will join the call as soon as they’re able, but the virtual waiting room will expire after 30 minutes. Upon entering, you’ll read a message stating that the call will begin when their provider or a practice staff member joins the call.
A: Yes, up to four total users can participate in the call simultaneously, including users from both the patient and the provider side. If you require an additional participant be present during the visit, such as a caretaker, the link to the visit can be forwarded or shared with another user.
A: If you become accidentally disconnected in the middle of the visit, you can access the visit again using the same URL you were initially provided.
The $50 fee for a virtual visit is only waived when a patient is referred to and receives follow up care in the emergency room or in a Watauga Orthopaedics clinic.
A: Yes, video capability is required to effectively evaluate your injury.
The Virtual Clinic works on desktop and mobile, but only via web browser. You don’t need to download an application to your device.
Browser requirements include:
- Google Chrome (latest three versions), for macOS and Windows
- Microsoft Edge (chromium-based, version 79 and later), for Windows
- Safari (version 12+) on macOS
- Firefox (latest three versions), for macOS and Windows
- Google Chrome on android (latest three versions)
- Safari on iOS 12+ (This feature doesn’t support other browsers such as Chrome on iOS)